Saturday, November 16, 2019

52 CCT November Theme Challenge

Does anyone hang candy canes on their Christmas trees?
Growing up, our tree was always filled with those sweet red and white stripe delicious candy.  My boys also got to enjoy the candy canes on the tree as they grew up too.  Still today, even though my boys are grown, I still hang them on the tree.  I guess they are a little bit of flash back to me when I was young and my kids were young. 
A tradition so minor but still means a lot to me to see them hanging there... more like an old ornament you hang year after year....not so much a sugary treat.

Todays challenge is about sweet treats.  I found this digital image at the Esty shop recently.  It is a KLM Designs called Candy Cane Gnome.  I colored him up with Derwent pencils and added Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pens over parts of the image.   



The red swirl background he is on is actually an old technique using shaving cream and some red re-inker.  Just get some cheap shaving cream and spray a nice thick coating in an old cake pan.  Drop a few drops of re-inker on it.  In my case, I just used red but you can add a couple of colors if you want.   You can use a stick, toothpick, knife or whatever you want and swirl it through the shaving cream.  The idea is to make a design with the re-inker in the shaving cream.  Don't go too crazy mixing because you just want a marble look.  Now take your piece of cardstock and lay it on top of the shaving cream, pressing down slightly into it to make sure the cardstock is covered.  Now lift off your cardstock and take a spatula or something flat to scrape off the shaving cream.  Take a paper towel and dab the cardstock.  Set aside to dry.  You can make several backgrounds with this one batch.  



The Stamping Palace Peppermint Candy background was stamped with a cranberry red pigment ink.
The picture above is a close up so you can see the "shine" on the gnome.
Don't forget you can always head over to 52CCT for more inspirations from the other design teams blogs.


Nearing the end of card making for 2019.  Hope you are as far ahead as I am!

Happy Crafting...
Netta

1 comment:

Fabiola said...

Quel superbe gnome Netta, un peu impressionnant même mais quelle allure! Biz