Saturday, August 15, 2009

Weathered Background Technique

A few people asked how I made my background to the Feathered Butterfly card so I made another background and took some photos of the steps I used. I kept in mind what an old metal container will look like when it has sat around for awhile...it tends to get a blueish weather look. (all photos can be clicked on to enlarge and get a better view)
There are very few materials you need to make the weathered background. Heat Gun 2 Colors of Embossing Powder (I used Gold and Light Blue) Embossing Pad Sponge White Cardstock
Using a sponge to pick up glue from your embossing pad and pat where you want the first color to be on your cardstock. I used the gold first and put it over the entire cardstock but if you enlarge the photo you can see I was not fussy and there are some spots where the gold has not completely covered. It will be covered in the next step.
Heat the embossing powder. You can see by the photograph where I have heated as the embossing powder is melting and becoming shiny.
After your first color has cooled down for a few seconds, use your sponge again to dab the glue down where you want the 2nd color to go.
Pour your second color on top and knock off anything that does not stick. Heat your 2nd color until melted making sure you do not over heat or the first color will bubble up through. If you are not happy with your results, you can add more gold or blue until you get the result you are looking for.
The entire technique takes only minutes and it makes a very interesting background. It is the one time where you do not need an embossing buddy to stop stray particles ...if some stray particles are where you did not add glue, that is ok. (Enlarge photo to get a better look) It gives it an interesting affect. Now your Weathered Background is ready for you to use on your next card!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh this looks so easy to do. I will definitely be trying this one out real soon. Maybe even this evening.

Shelly said...

I came right to your page and read this the other night, Netta and then forgot to leave a comment. We'll blame it on the migraine that's still there. Couldn't be my memory.:)

Thanks so much for sharing the instructions. I'm looking forward to trying this new technique. I'll give you a report when I do.