Thursday, December 31, 2015

Magical Christmas Window Card

Every year, my co-workers get a Christmas card from me along with some type of snack.  
The cards I make are normally time consuming and special for them.  This year the card fold is called a Free Standing Pop Up card but my cards had a door that opened.  You can see how to make a regular Free Standing Pop Up card here.  I just modified the dimensions a bit to make my idea work.  




The card I decided to make has 23 pieces and I made 13 cards in all.  It took me a bit to figure all the measurements right and after 3 attempts, I got it!.  The card was slightly bigger than an A2 size card when closed... 5 1/2 x 4 3/4.  I wanted the base of the card to be slightly larger to accommodate the doors once opened.   Lucky I had some envelopes that were perfect for this size and didn't have to make my own.  The width with the doors closed was 3 1/4.  To get the door sections perfectly, I first cut the blue section 5 1/2 by 6 3/4.  The extra 1/4 width allowed room for the fold and closing of the doors over the bulk of everything under it. After scoring where the door closing folds were, I trimmed the doors pieces off 1" up from the bottom so once the door section pulled up from the base, it could open.   

Here are some more views of the card so you can see the side views and how it fits into the envelope.







The Merry Christmas section, once completely opened, was on the bottom of the card. To close the card, the card base just slid up past the doors until it was flat.

Here is the back of the card where I wrote to the recipient. 


Made 13 in all and a couple were mailed out before I remembered to take a picture.


I hope this inspires you to go out of the norm and create a special card for that special someone!

Enjoy and have a great crafting day!!

Netta



No comments: